- Only available on Star LabTop Mk III, Star Labtop Mk IV and StarBook Mk V
- fwupd version 1.5.6 or later
- The battery must be charged to at least 30%
- The charger must be connected (either USB-C or DC Jack)
- BIOS Lock must be disabled
- Supported Linux distribution (Ubuntu 20.04 +, Linux Mint 20.1 + elementaryOS 6 +, Manjaro 21+)
fwupd 1.5.6 or later
To check the version of fwupd you have installed, open a terminal window and enter the below command:
This will show the version number. Anything higher than 1.5.6 will work.
On Ubuntu 20.04, Ubuntu 20.10, Linux Mint 20.1 and elementaryOS 6, fwupd 1.5.6 can be installed from our PPA with the below terminal commands:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:starlabs/ppa sudo apt update sudo apt install fwupd
sudo pacman -Sy fwupd-starlabs flashrom-starlabs
Instructions for other distributions will be added once fwupd 1.5.6 is available. If you are not using one of the distributions listed above, it is possible to install coreboot using a Live USB.
Disable BIOS Lock
BIOS Lock must be disabled when switching from the standard AMI (American Megatrends Inc.) firmware to Coreboot. BIOS Lock is only available in later versions of the firmware, so if you don't see it, please update the AMI firmware first. To disable BIOS Lock:
1. Start with your LabTop turned off. Turn it on whilst holding the F2 key to access the BIOS settings.
2. When the BIOS settings load, use the arrow keys to navigate to the advanced tab. Here you will see BIOS Lock.
Enter to change this setting from Enabled to Disabled
4. Next, press the
F10 key to Save & Exit and then
Enter to confirm.
Switching branch refers to changing from AMI firmware to Coreboot, or vice versa.
First, check for new firmware files with the below terminal command:
fwupdmgr refresh --force
Then, to change branch, enter the below terminal command:
You can then select which branch you would like to use, by typing in the corresponding number:
You will be prompted to confirm, press
y to continue or
n to cancel.
Once the switch has been completed, you will be prompted to restart.
The next reboot can take up to 5 minutes, do not interrupt this process or disconnect the charger. Once the reboot is complete, that's it - you'll continue to receive updates for whichever branch you are using.
You can switch branch at any time.